Thursday, December 6, 2007

Magical Infosys Tree



I still don’t remember exactly I got here, but it must have been an age now. May be quarter of millennium now , but am sure as in those times we hardly had any watches or calendar, but I remember one old lady sitting under my shed to generously feed a traveler with some beans, and soon I came to know I am in a city named “bele-benda-kalu-ooru” (in Kannada means, the place of boiled beans). Years passed in thin air as I grew up in midst of my friends and family. Then there was a big battle and all happy moods seemed to go. There were canons all around and deaths, of humans, animals and even my friends, the trees. Yet I survived, but what followed was a pleasant experience. All my surroundings were cleared and beautiful gardens came up in vicinity, under Haider Ali. Then there were still some of my friends whom I used to talk to, and then there were new kids who would hear all my stories so patiently. The trend continued in tenure of Tipu, the most heroic as they call him. And soon I found myself in another battle and from Tipu, went to moughals, back to Wodeyars. The change in age saw me least interested in this world, as most of my friends were gone, and soon should be my turn. Then came the British, and this city was Bangalore. A new name in old place. Tired of standing in isolation for centuries at same place and I tried to expand, want to move a few feet. Then came a dry patch, and I could not see a single person. All my friends and fellows were gone, and I was standing alone. Waiting for death. Then maybe some decades ago, while counting my last came this person. My eyes saw him as another traveler, not to know the savior. He returned next day, and after and soon daily. I thought my days are counted and will soon be chopped off, as the only tree in this barren land. My age old fight to nature will die off to this mankind. I have been respected for ages, from peers and foes alike. Buildings started to come up all over the place, and the people used to come in shade of me. Their children played with me, but I was a dieing soldier. I wanted to give them shade but my days like leaves left in me were counted. Then this spectacled person came to me, inspected me and whispered in my ear. “Don’t worry together we will see it through. You promise to live, I promise to take all care for you”.
For first time in my life I felt someone respected me, but deep in my heart I know my days are counted. Still I believed in him, and soon there were some people working on me. Suddenly I started feeling blood running in veins, and my heart beat coming back. I was delighted and what followed was a beautiful garden around me. And so many trees around me, so many new friends. I still tell them all the tales of the ages I have seen. But what makes me most happy are so many people passing by me each day. They also seem to be warriors like me inspired by that same man who once whispered life my ears, and years in my age.
So each time you pass by me, do thank that man and smile at me because I smile back to you each time you smile to me. Thanks for giving my life back.
PS: Don’t forget to take a picture of you with me, don’t u think I am photogenic.

21 comments:

  1. I always wondered about this tree, thought it might have been transplanted from some where else to preserve its life. Seldom do people try to relate to a tree as they either look at it as timber or as an obstacle to progress or just firewood. Whether it has started its life in this very spot or was transplanted here, these words truly reflect what an old tree would want to share with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback here , as well as in the mail. Will incorporate them soon. This tree is really magestic .

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice one ....
    and piece of real creativity!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have more than a dozen photos of this majestic tree. Taken on a fine sunset. I shall send you those :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good read indeed. The tree has always been very close to my heart too. Even i have a pic of it and had it as my desktop wallpaper for a longtime :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i saw this tree 10 years ago. It was then about to die. Great to see it is flourishing.
    Isha
    Ex-Infoscion

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ roshin - thanks for the compliments , i know english is improbable but seems got my feelings out .
    @ shilpa - i will be delighted to have those and with due permission update this post with them ,with yr reference
    @Sujareetha- i am very delighted and thankful to know this tree has importance to more than one person on earth
    @isha - can you please tell something more about the surroundings then. will definitely love to hear how it was then

    ReplyDelete
  8. u really rock this place....awsome pics and to support all aesthetic comments...keep charming such good things...cheers..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb.
    Really liked this piece of creativity

    ReplyDelete
  10. tree seems really to be magical as described by deepak ..his description appears so real that i can actually feel its presence in my heart ... good work deepak...keep blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ abhishek - thanks a lot will try to keep this stuff to yr expectations
    @ vatakara - sorry didnt knw the name , thanks for comments.
    @Sachin - man u will always be awsome , hope to see u here more often

    ReplyDelete
  12. is this tree in infosys ??

    ReplyDelete
  13. is this tree in infosys ??

    ReplyDelete
  14. If only the tree could read this! She would have indeed been so pleased to know that she is a celebrity around here!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. can someone go and tell this tree it is in superstar now. lest many people will see it with respect from now on

    ReplyDelete
  16. How did I fail to notice this tree for all these years??? Thanks for enlightening me ;) I shall go right now and have a look at it

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really a superb piece of creativity....Keep it up Man...

    ReplyDelete